The textbook is an author's training manual on one of the types of independent tourism for familiarization with the theory of long intercontinental voyages at minimal cost.
The concept under consideration—Hobo tourism (Russian: Бомж-туризм) also Bum tourism, Vagabond tourism, Tramp tourism; harsh backpacking or Russian backpacking is a format of long trips a-la homeless people life.
The origin of the term is based on a combination of the Russian words "бомж" and "туризм" However term should not be taken literally— homeless + tourism ("voyage of a homeless person"): people who do not have housing don’t travel the planet. The choice of a phrase so strange at first glance as a name explained by the fact that the existence of a traveler (or an independent tourist) following these postulates for some time becomes similar to the life of a homeless person wandering around the world.
Anyone who is annoyed by the word displayed in the title, don’t advise to continue reading: it is unlikely that the technique will appeal to you, since the content fully corresponds to the title. This is a typical Russian method; the alternative to it is the well-known (pro-Western method) backpacking.
The textbook describes a practical approach, supplementing the text part with an abundance of illustrations, sometimes videos; and also contains the category "Optional material", which presents real events as an example and Russian-language literature on the topic. It is not necessary to read the "elective", in particular, for those users who prefer to act independently.
The creator of textbook is Russian traveller Viktor Pinchuk.
Introduction: Long intercontinental trips and expeditions
- Overnight stays in long intercontinental journeys
- In the flophouse (dosshouse)
- In Aboriginal dwellings
- In abandoned buildings
- In the company of homeless people
- In a public toilet
- At the police station
- In halls and stairwells
- At the cemetery
- In the ancient pyramid
- On objects under construction
- Under the open sky
- In hostels
Ways of moving: Transport
What to take with you: Equipment
Tips for self-sufficiency in food: Food
Who chose this method: Subject of hobo tourism
For additional information:
Survival practice in extreme conditions (specific examples):
- Visiting Death (about traveler involuntarily staying in an uninhabited territory)
- One day in an Afghan prison
- African Robbery
- Tropical fever in the bum tour
Routes traveled by the author:
- First creative trip to Africa
- Creative trip to India
- Creative trip to Mongolia
- The second creative trip to Africa
- Afghan Expedition
- Third creative trip to Africa
- Bum tour of winter Japan
- Expedition to Papua New Guinea
- Latin American expedition
- Solo expedition to Africa (2017/18)
- Expedition to the islands of Oceania
Travel literature in the bum tour format (in Russian):
- Third African trip
- Japan for free
- Six months by islands... and countries
- Mongolian huyvaldagch
- Two hundred days in Latin America
- Afghan prisoner
- Holiday of wandering mzungu
- Two months of wandering and 14 days behind bars
- Indian dreams
Some tips for spending high-days (and examples from practice):
Author's TV project, recommended for viewing with the purpose of additional familiarization with the topic (in Russian):
See also edit
- Cultural travel is a type of wandering around the planet that partially overlaps with the basic principles of hobo tourism.