Hobo tourism/Viktor Pinchuk's solo expedition to Africa (2017/18)
Viktor Pinchuk’s solo expedition to Africa (2017-18) is a project of a Russian traveler, the most problematic of the trips, which began with deportation by the authorities of the microstate and ended in a robbery, which occurred a few hours before returning home. The route included 10 countries and 11 islands.
- Duration: 6 months.
- Period: 5.11. 2017 — 21. 04. 2018
- Idea: Viktor Pinchuk.
- Number of participants: 1 (one).
- Starting point: Port Louis.
- Transit: Moscow, Dubai.
- Number of countries visited: ten (including 11 Islands).
- Way to get: plane.
- Ways to move: air transport, land transport, water transport, pedestrian routes.
- Nature of the journey: creative trip with extreme elements.
- Objects of interest: rarely visited by foreigners places of the planet.
- Purpose: collecting material on the countries and peoples of Africa.
- Format: lengthy a high-complexity hobo tour.
- Mauritius (the main island and Cerf). Localities: Port Louis, Quatre Bornes, Tamarin, Curepipe, Calodyne, Cap Malheureux, Surinam, Souillac, Grand-Baie, Rivière du Rempart, Belle Mare, Vieux Grand Port, Mahébourg, L'Escalie, Souillac.
- Madagascar. Localities: Iwato, Antananarivo, Antsiranana, Ramena, Joffreville, Fianarantsoa, Ambohimahasoa (transit), Antsirabe, Talata (small village in the Lake Andraikiba area), Ambohinapetraka, Morondava, Ankilizato, Marofototra.
- Comoros (islands: Grande Comore, Anjouan, Mohéli). Localities: Moroni, Mutsamudu, Lingoni, Koni-Djodjo, Domoni, Bambao Mtrouni, Djoièzi, Mbini, Itsamia, Fomboni, Hoani, Shindini, Ivoini, Tsidjé.
- Tanzania (islands: Zanzibar, Changuu). Localities: Stone Town (capital of Zanzibar), Kitsimkazi-Mtendeni, Chwaka, Nangwi, Dar es Salaam, Mtwara, Kilambo (mozambican border).
- Mozambique (islands: Mozambique, Bazaruto, Benguerra). Localities: Namoto (border point), Mocímboa da Praia, Nampula, Monapo, Stone Town (main town of Mozambique Island), Gorongosa, Inhassoro, Vilankulo, Maxixe, Inhambane, Maputo, Chicualacuala (Zimbabwe border).
- Zimbabwe. Localities: Sango, Masvingo, Ngundu, Muzikawanu (tiny village), Harare, Karoi, Marongora, Bulawayo, Robert Sinyoka, Victoria Falls, Kazungula border.
- Botswana. Settlements: Kasane, Maun, Nokaneng, Qangwa, Xai-Xai (tiny village), Ghanzi, Trail Blazers (ethno village), Tsabong, Bokspits, Middlepits, Gaborone.
- South Africa. Settlements: Johannesburg, Cape Town, George, Plettenberg Bay, Oudshoorn, Kimberley, Bloemfontein, Sani Pass (border), Underberg, Pietermaritzburg, Estcourt, Ladysmith (transit), Phuthaditjhaba (QwaQwa), Clarens, Dundee, Vryheid (transit), Pongola, Onverwacht (Swaziland border), Nelspruit (Mbombela), Bushbuckridge (transit), Grascope, Leroro, Lydenburg (Mashishing), Witbank (Emalahleni), Pretoria.
- Lesotho. Localities: Maseru, Ha Phallang), Semonkong, Ha Moahloli, Matebeng, Mokhotlong (transit).
- Swaziland. Localities: Nsalitje (border), Hluti (transit), Nhlangano, Manzini, Ezulwini, Mbabane, Ngwenya, Piggs Peak, Matsamo border.
The methods appliedEdit
In the process of moving along the route the following accommodation options were used:
- On the property under construction: in a three-storey unfinished building, Quatre Bornes (Mauritius).
- In abandoned dwelling: near Souillac village (Mauritius).
- In the company of native bums: in the port of Mutsamudu on Anjouan Island (Comoros).
- At the police station: in Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland (many times).
- In Aboriginal dwellings: on the dirt floor in a 2x2m student's den (Moroni, Grande Comore); in a small one-storey house where more than 10 people slept on floors and beds (Botswana); near the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (Botswana); in Phuthaditjhaba (South Africa); in a decrepit hut at the entrance to the Kruger National Park (South Africa).
- Under the open sky: on a hillside in Port Louis (Mauritius), on the roof of historic ruins near Pointe du Diable (Mauritius), in the forest near the Mare Aux Joncs falls (Mauritius); in the company of drivers near the island of Mozambique, on the oceanfront of Benguerra Island (Mozambique).
- In accommodation for the indigenous poor: Antananarivo, Antsiranana, Antsirabe, Morondawa (Madagascar); Zanzibar, Dar es Salaam, Mtwara (Tanzania); Mosimboa da Praia, Gorongosa, Inassoro (Mozambique); Harare, Karoi, Bulawayo (Zimbabwe)
- In hostels: In Masvingo, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe); in Cape Town (South Africa).
- In public toilets: in the washroom corridor of the Oudshoorn police station (South Africa), at the Sani Pass border post.
- In a seated position when travelling by minibus: in Madagascar (many times).
- On the concrete floor of the international airport terminal: Iwato (Madagascar).
- On the staircase of a travel agency: in Grand-Baie, Mauritius.
- On the metal deck of the ship Noora, which has not left port for several days due to stormy weather: in Moroni, Grande Comore Island.
- Under the awning on the doorstep of a tiny shop: Bazaruto Island.
- On the bus station platform: in Maputo (Mozambique).
- On the concrete floor in a rented non-closed room: Maputo (Mozambique).
- On the floor of an empty room in the company of passengers bound for Zimbabwe: Chicualacuala (Mozambique).
- On the floor of a small school: in the village of Xai-Xai (Botswana).
- On the concrete floor of a tiny room designed for the staff of a petrol station near Paul Sauer Bridge, South Africa.
- At the Remmogo victim support center: Leroro village, South Africa.
Outcomes and resultsEdit
- In 2018, the book "Holiday of wandering mzungu" was published, detailing the route of the expedition and all the misadventures of the sole participant.
Problems, difficult momentsEdit
- On 7 November 2017, Russian traveller was detained at Seychelles international airport and deported to Moscow three days later as an illegal immigrant under the pretext of not having a hotel reservation.
- On 25 December 2017, a passenger arriving for check-in at Iwato International Airport, Madagascar, was denied boarding on an Antananarivo — Moroni flight; the reason was that the ticket was not confirmed.
- On January 2, 2018, while near the village of Djoièzi on Moheli Island, was cut off from the road leading back by a sudden rising tide, having a camera with footage of the entire period, money and documents.
- On January 7, 2019, after some days of stormy weather on Moheli Island, ventured out to sail with two brave men; the helmsman, all the road prayed to Allah, while the dark-skinned passenger was silent.
Materials in Wikisource projectEdit
- Viktor Pinchuk "African style robbery"
- Pinchuk, Viktor (in ru) "Holiday of wandering mzungu". — Simferopol: Btovko, 2018. — 180 p. — ISBN 978-5-9909912-4-8