Super Mario 64/Printable version
| This is the print version of Super Mario 64
You won't see this message or any elements not part of the book's content when you print or preview this page.
- Control Stick
- Press the A button.
- Hold the Z button.
- Press the B button.
- Double jump
- Press the jump button twice in a row Mario will go higher than a regular jump.
- Triple jump
- While running, press the jump button three times in a row. Mario will do a flip in the air. With the wing cap, the triple jump is used to start flying.
- Wall jump
- Running into the while while in the air, press Jump again to kick off the wall. Can be done multiple times in succession.
- Move while crouching.
- Jump while crouching.
- Run in one direction, then push the Control Stick in the opposite direction and jump simultaneously.
- Ground pound
- Jump and press the crouch button.
- Run and press punch to dive forward, hitting enemies and grabbing rabbits.
- Press the punch button while jumping.
- Slide kick
- While running, press the crouch button to slide and then punch.
- Long Jump
- While running, press the crouch button to slide and then jump.
Bowser in the Dark World
To enter the Dark World, you must have 8 stars. In the main room of the castle, go up the stairs and to the left. Go through the Star Door and run down the long hallway until you drop through a trap door, which leads to the Dark World.
All Bowser levels:
Bowser 1 Location: First floor of the castle in the door with the big star on it. Prize: A big key. This opens the door in to the basement. To kill bowser: Get behind him, pick him up by the tail and spin him around. Throw him on to a bomb to kill him.
Bowser 2 Location: Basement, through the door with the big star. Prize: A big key. This opens the door straight in front of the enterance to the castle. To kill bowser: Same as the first time.
Bowser 3 Location: The uppermost floor, up the "endless" staircase. You must have 70 stars to make it up. Prize: The Princess. To kill bowser: Same as before, except throw him in to three bombs
Normal route (no red coins)Edit
Mario will drop into the Dark World, and a message will appear from Bowser. Begin by running or jumping over the narrow walkway, and then avoid the flames being shot over the purple switch. (There is a space for the Metal Cap box, but at this point the box should not appear). Avoid the switch for now, and jump onto one of the moving platforms ahead, (or long jump across the whole gap) which will take you to the other side. Run up the incline ahead (on the right), avoid the flames, and run up the next ramp going the other way, collecting the coins as you go up. Wait until one of the moving platforms to become just below the level Mario is at, and then jump onto it. Ride it to the other side and jump off. Avoiding the Goombas, run up the small bridge to the green walkway. Stay clear of the electric spheres spinning around the crystals.
When you reach the end of the walkway, wait until the orange platform sticks out enough to be able to jump on it. Jump onto it and then jump onto the center platform and collect the coins in the item box. Wait until the orange platform sticks out enough to reach the next gray platform, then jump onto it and then jump onto the grey platform. (An easier way is to just long jump from the center platform to the next gray one.) Jump onto a moving platform, then when it connect with the next pair of platforms, jump onto one of them. Ride the platform to the next gray platform with a Goomba on it. Jump onto the blue platform in front, and, making sure it doesn't tilt too far, do a double jump onto the next one. Run to the end of the next one and single jump onto the gray platform with the Goombas below. Run up to the pieces of wood on the right and single jump onto each of them to get up to the platform with the purple switch. Press the switch to make the checkered floor turn into stairs, then jump up the stairs and jump into the pipe on the top to get to Bowser.
Red Coin routeEdit
This is essentially the same as the normal route, with a couple of detours.
- The first red coin is located in midair on the right of the platform you start out on. To get it, press the purple switch under the flames that you avoided in the normal route to make a couple of boxes appear under it. Run back to the platform you started on and grab the coin before the boxes disappear.
- The second red coin is right where the purple switch is. To get it, press the switch, and a box will appear under that coin. Run over and get it before the box disappears, avoiding the fire as you do so.
- The third red coin is located on the green walkway with the spinning electric spheres. Simply walk over to it and pick it up.
- The fourth red coin is where the moving orange platform at the end of the green walkway is. After you get to the center gray platform, drop down to the orange platform when it is behind it to get the coin.
- The fifth red coin is where the moving platforms are after the orange platform. At the first pair of platforms, jump on one and ride on it until you touch the red coin.
- The sixth red coin is located at at place not on the normal route. When you get up to the gray platform before the tilting blue platforms, turn around to find a small, narrow blue walkway leading to a circular platform. Walk on the blue walkway until you get to the platform, where the red coin is.
- The seventh red coin is on one of the pink platforms hanging above the blue tilting ones. Get to the side with the purple switch, then turn around. Jump onto the first blue tilting platform and double jump at the very end of it to grab onto one of the pink platforms. Then do a single jump to get to the one with the red coin.
- The eight red coin is a bit tricky. It is in a crack on the side where all the pink platforms are connected to. To get it, get to the gray platform on the side of the switch with the two goombas. Turn around and face the beginning of the level. Walk to the extreme right and inch your way towards the small space that leads to the gap where the red coin is. Walk along the pink wall until you get to the gap, and collect the coin.
After Bowser gives his little speech, run around him in circles until he stops. Walk up to his tail and press B to grab on. Rotate the control stick to swing him around. When you think he's aimed at a bomb, press B to let go. If Bowser hits a bomb, you win, and you get the key to the basement! If not, repeat until he hits a bomb.
Bowser in the Fire Sea
To enter the Fire Sea, you must have 31 stars and have beaten Bowser in the Dark World to get the key to the basement. When you go through the Star Door in the basement for the first time, the entrance to Dire, Dire Docks will be blocking the entrance to the Fire Sea. Beat the first level of Dire, Dire Docks to make it uncover the entrance to the Fire Sea.
Normal route (no red coins)Edit
Mario will drop into the Fire Sea, but there will be no message from Bowser this time. Begin by running up to the platform in front of you and stay on it as it moves through the lava. Avoid the wall in your way, then jump onto the two platforms to the left side to you won't get burned when the moving platform goes under the lava. Jump back onto the platform and ride it to the end. Jump onto the blue platforms above the lava and jump to the next gray one (be careful on the blue platforms, as the lava moves on and off them slowly). Avoid the bully and the Goombas and run to the end where a moving pole is sticking out of the lava. Avoid the electric sphere and jump onto the pole, then jump onto the platform above. Turn around and jump onto the tilting gray platforms, and then jump onto the pole at the end of the second one. Climb up the pole and jump off, and then walk over to the gray elevator to get up to the second level of the stage.
Once on the second level, run straight and long jump over the gap (be careful of the machine spitting fire in between). Run over the blue triangle, and then position yourself under the platform with the coins under it, and then jump and hold onto the bottom of it with A. Still holding A, climb over to the other side. Cross the moving platforms and avoid the two bullies ahead. Walk up the series of moving ramps and platforms to get to another gray platform. Run up the platform and jump over the series of blue platforms in the lava (avoid the fire-spitting things and the moving lava). Jump onto the platform with the spinning heart and then jump onto the moving pole. Jump up to the next platform and keep jumping onto moving poles and platforms until you reach the gray platform with the bridge in front of it. Run across the bridge quickly (it falls apart as you do) and jump into the large pipe with an image of a star in it to reach Bowser.
Red Coin routeEdit
To defeat Bowser, do the same thing as you did with the last one; grab his tail and throw him into a bomb. Be careful this time though, as Bowser tends to jump and pound the platform, which causes it to tilt. Run to the other side to avoid falling off. Also, Bowser can teleport around the platform, so keep an eye out for that.
Bowser in the Sky
| This page or section is an undeveloped draft or outline.
You can help to develop the work, or you can ask for assistance in the project room.
To get into this stage, a player requires 70 stars and needs to have beaten Bowser in the Fire Sea.
Normal Route (no red coins)Edit
Red Coin RouteEdit
Most red coins can be discovered throughout the way to the top. Some could be overlooked, such as the first one, which can be reached by jumping on the red-edged box near the beginning. The last coin is located beneath the stairs near the warp pipe to the final battle, making it the most difficult to find for first-time players.
Get behind Bowser and grab his tail. Spin him slowly around by rotating the analog stick 360 degrees. Then toss him a little way and run up behind him and grab him again. Repeat throwing Bowser until you get close to a mine, and let him have it. The rings he stomps out are easy to jump over the closer you stand to Bowser. After you throw him into a spike twice, Bowser will break the platform into a star. Stand in the middle when he is doing this. There is a 1-up right before you enter to battle Bowser. It is right behind one of the pillars where the wind blows. Good Luck!!
Tower of the Wing Cap
When Mario has collected 10 stars, a bright light in the castle main room will appear. Stand in the light, with Mario facing the stairs and look up. Mario will then enter the level.
The level is basically composed of five towers: four small ones and a large one. On top of the large one, you will find the button that activates the red cap blocks.
Collect 8 red coinsEdit
The eight red coins are placed in pairs in the air around the towers. Fly round and round to get them. Press Z if you don't get both of them in one run. You will need to use the wing cap to collect them. One pair is so high up in the air that you can't land before you collect them.
Cavern of the Metal Cap
Location: In level 6. Go to the underground lake, and ride the blue sea beast to the door across from where you came in. The metal cap course is in the pool inside.
Description: Long level with a strong current. Don't get sucked in to the waterfall; you'll end up outside.
Vanish Cap Under the Moat
Location: In the moat. You must drain it first. Go in to the basement of the castle. Follow the circular hall, and go through the door. Follow the wall on the right until you hit a door. Go through the underwater hall, and you will find a room with two pillars. butt-slam the pillars and the water will drain. Go out the newly exposed door, go right, and you will find a hole in the ground by the waterfall. That's the blue switch!
Description: a short course with a long hill and a bunch of rotating lifts over a bottomless pit.
Secret Castle Stars
There are 15 secret castle stars which do not appear in regular courses.
Three stars are given by Toad, the mushroom. The first is in the basement, in the room with Hazy Maze Cave. Talk to Toad and he will give you a star. The next star is on the second floor in the castle. This Toad is located under the stairs. The last one is on the third floor next to the Tick Tock Clock.
The Princess' Secret Slide (2)Edit
In the castle's main room, go up the stairs and to the right. Enter the door. Inside you will find a room with three glass paintings. Jump in the right one.
There are two stars in this level:
- One is at the bottom of the slide
- Another is awarded if Mario finishes less than 21 seconds.
The Secret AquariumEdit
In the room where you enter Jolly Roger Bay, go to the right and backflip into the hole in the wall. Collect the eight red coins.
Wing Mario Over The RainbowEdit
In the room with the Tick Tock Clock level, go to the left and enter the hole in the wall. Collect the eight red coins. This is one of the hardest stars in the game. If you fall down from this level you will not lose a life; instead, you will end up outside the castle.
After you have 15 stars and less than 50 stars a rabbit can be seen hopping around the basement (his name is MIPS). Catch him and he will give you a star.
The rabbit will return after you get more than 50 stars, he can be caught again for another star.
You can still catch him even after 50 stars or 100.
Bowser levels (3)Edit
Collect eight red coins in all three Bowser levels.
Cap switch levels (3)Edit
Collect eight red coins in all three cap switch levels.(Vanish Cap Under the moat, Cavern of the metal cap and Tower of the wing cap)
All the stars in order:
Star 1: The Princess' Secret Slide 1 First floor of castle, up the stairs, door on the right with a star on it. jump through the picture on the right.
Star 2: The Princess' Secret Slide 2 Same location as extra star 1 (the princess' picture on the main floor of the castle). Finish the race in under 21 seconds. There is a shortcut to make this easier. Jump over the edge on the first turn. If you're lucky, you will land on the track far below. Butt-slam just before you land to get up faster.
Star 3: The Secret Aquarium In the room with the picture for course 3, there are 2 holes in the wall up high that you can jump into. Backflip in to the one on the left. Collect all 8 red coins for a star.
Star 4: Rabbit 1 After you have 20 stars, catch the bunny in the basement of the castle. when he's stopped at a dead end, approach him diagonally from the right. he will run right in to you.
Star 5: Rabbit 2 After you have 50 stars, the bunny will be back for more. Catch him again for a star.
Star 6: Toad 1 After you have 20 stars, talk to Toad (the mushroom guy) in the room with course 6. He will give you a star.
Star 7: Toad 2 After you have 50 stars, on the second floor, Toad will give you another star.
Star 8: Toad 3 After you have 50 stars, on the third floor, talk to Toad again and get a star.
Star 9: Wing Mario Over The Rainbow On the third floor, jump into the hole in the wall opposite course 15. There is a bonus level there. Collect all red coins for a star.
Star 10: Bowser1 Bowser level 1 - get all 8 red coins. This is pretty easy. All the coins are basically in plain sight, except one. When you pound on the ! switch in the beginning of the level, go back and there is a red coin behind where you start.
Star 11: Bowser 2 Bowser level 2 - get all 8 red coins. Same as Bowser 1. Pretty easy.
Star 12: Bowser 3 Bowser level 3 - get all 8 red coins. This is harder than the other Bowser levels. There are two coins that are kind of hidden. One is on a tiny ledge under the tilting platforms. Change views to find it. The other is under the bridge right before bowsers pipe. All the rest are easy to find.
Star 13: Green Switch Green ! switch level - get all 8 red coins. You need to get the metal cap in the course to find all of the red coins.
Star 14: Blue Switch Blue ! switch level - get all 8 red coins. Coins are all out in the open, just be careful not to fall off the platforms as they turn over.
Star 15: Red Switch Red ! switch level - get all 8 red coins. When you start, go a little to the right and do a counterclockwise spiral grabbing red coins on the way down. If you miss any, start over.
There are several glitches in Super Mario 64, which can be useful or just weird. In particular, many glitches are handy for speed running the game.
Bridge? What bridge?Edit
A really simple glitch. In Course 1 (Bom-omb Battlefield) go to the first wooden bridge. Go under it, where the coins are, then press and hold A. you should be holding on to the bridge. Still holding on, make your way to the lowest point possible. Release A. Mario should pull himself up through the bridge. (Note: This is fixed in Super Mario 64 DS.)
"Dark World"/Inverted RoomsEdit
Once you have all 120 stars, a cannon near the pond in front of the castle will open and launch you to a roof, where Yoshi will be waiting. Also on the roof is a Wing Cap. There is a glitch that can be done with this:
- Get the Wing Cap, then fly off the roof and into the cannon on the ground.
- Launch towards the tower as high as it will go.
- Keep flying towards it until you reach it. The upper part of the castle has 8 sides, so when you land on an outcrop face away from the wall that is 2nd to the left of the one that is in front (the "front" wall is the wall that was directly in front of you when you blasted from the cannon.)
- Face away from the wall and then quickly turn around and run into it. You should fall down into a strange chamber. Remember that you'll lose half of your power.
- You'll be in a chamber that is inverted-- in other words, the door that looks like it's going outside goes into the castle and vice versa. The only way out is to leave through a hidden wall in the chamber that's inside the castle.
- When you fly to the castle outcrop, you can also walk straight up to the top of the castle instead of falling through (by walking up the 3rd left from the front wall)
Flying Mario Corpse IEdit
- Go to Course 8 (Shifting Sand Land).
- With the Pink Bomb-Omb, open up the cannon in the corner of the level.
- Go in the cannon, and aim it just above the sun. (Move the cannon as far left and as far up as it will go).
- Fire the cannon, do it many times.
- Eventually Mario's power will run out but he'll still be in the cannon.
- If you fire straight out into the level Mario will technically be dead but still flying. If Mario lands though he'll die and if he gets coins they won't do anything (and if Mario lands in water he'll drown automatically).
Flying Mario Corpse IIEdit
- Go to Course 11 (Wet-Dry World)
- Go in the cannon, and aim it just above the sun.
- Fire the cannon and do it 4 times.
- After the 4th time Mario's power will run out but he'll still be in the cannon.
- If you fire straight out into the level Mario will technically be dead but still flying. If Mario lands he'll die and if he gets coins they won't do anything (and if Mario lands in water he drowns automatically.) :)
Lose a life without a causeEdit
- Get all 120 stars.
- Go into the cannon outside the castle.
- Aim for the roof of the castle and fire the cannon.
- Land on the roof, and go to the RIGHT side of the roof in the very back (where the game ends)
- Standing next to the invisible boundary, slowly walk off the edge of the castle so that Mario will be hanging onto the edge of the castle.
- Climb back onto the castle's roof, but as you do, hold the "A" button and push the joystick up and to the right.
- Mario's cap will disappear, and even though Mario never lost any power, a bowser face will come out of nowhere and Mario will lose a life.
- Some guess that this happens because when this trick is done, Mario steps outside the game's boundaries into a part of the game that doesn't exist, and the only way for the game to continue without corruption is to automatically make Mario lose a life.
- Get all 120 stars, and make sure the moat in front of the castle has no water in it.
- Go outside of the castle, and go to the tree on the far left that contains a secret 1-UP mushroom.
- Climbing to the top of the tree and pressing the joystick up will make the 1-UP mushroom appear. Do this, but as soon as the mushroom appears, jump off the tree and make a long jump into the moat, while avoiding the invisible cap hole. The goal of this trick is to run away from the 1-UP mushroom as fast as possible, and not let it get to you.
- Without slowing down, keep making long jumps across the moat until you get to the pond. When you get to the pond make a sharp RIGHT leap into the pond as fast as possible.
- Swim out of the pond and get into the cannon.
- Aim the cannon for the castle roof and fire it.
- Once you land on the roof, get the winged Mario cap and fly above Yoshi.
- Fly straight, and fly in a circle around the perimeter of the game. This should be done to make it difficult for the mushroom to catch up.
- Once you've made a complete circle, you'll get back to the cannon. Go into the cannon and do the Inverted Rooms trick (see the first section of this article for more information.)
- When you are in the inverted room, the mushroom will try to get to you, but the wall will be blocking it. As a result, the mushroom will be constantly bouncing back and forth against the wall in a "C" shape, unable to get to Mario. If Mario moves left or right, the mushroom will follow Mario along the wall. If the mushroom gets stuck in the wall and Mario walks through the door, the mushroom will vanish, but if the mushroom doesn't get stuck, Mario will get it when he walks through the door.
The UFO of Jolly Roger BayEdit
- Go to Course 3 (Jolly Roger Bay) and choose star #1
- Go under water, to the very back at the very bottom, and open all the chests.
- Swim over to the sunken ship. By this time, the eel should be out of the ship's hole.
- Once the eel is gone, swim into the hole on the top of the ship.
- Open all the treasure boxes.
- Wait for the water to drain.
- Run over to the steps, but before you get to them, slow down to a crawl, or tip-toe.
- You should see a small UFO-like object floating in front of you. However, when you try to get to it, it will zip off erratically in a different direction, much like what a UFO would do.
Shortcut on the Second Floor StepsEdit
If you've opened the door to the castle's upper floors...on the spiral staircase leading to them, there's an unintended shortcut. Jump along the edge of the wall just before the left turn. Mario will grab onto an edge that shouldn't be there. You can pull him up through the wall, and he'll be right there at the door that faces the painting for Wet-Dry World.
The Rabbit TrickEdit
If you grab the rabbit in the basement at the right angle, you will warp slightly so you are in front of the rabbit in the right position to grab it without changing which way you face. This can be exploited to warp through the star door without 30 stars by placing the rabbit in the right position and grabbing so you are on the other side of the door.
Bypass The Last Star Door And The Endless StairsEdit
If you long jump on the stairs at the right angle rapidly, you will go through the star door or climb the endless stairs, depending on which stairs you are doing it on. The guys doing these videos use the rabbit glitch and the stair trick: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario64.html
Mario can turn metallic by hitting a green box found in certain courses. The Metal cap isn't available until you hit the Green Cap switch in Hazy Maze Cave star 3. While Mario is wearing the metal cap he is invincible to enemy and obstacle damage (not including lava or falling), he can walk underwater without drowning, he is slower and he cannot execute some of his techniques like his Back-flip.
| This page or section is an undeveloped draft or outline.
You can help to develop the work, or you can ask for assistance in the project room.
The Vanish Cap is a cap from which lets Mario walk trough certain walls and fences. It makes him immune to certain ways of taking damage and is needed to get a few stars.
Throughout the game, Mario will encounter various characters which may damage his health to various severities, but can also have utilities.
Gives Mario one unit of damage when bumped, and one yellow coin when stomped.
In Tiny-Huge-Island, they appear as tiny and huge variants respectively, where the tiny causes no damage and disappears without coin when bumped, and one yellow coin when stomped. The huge causes two units of damage when bumped, and one blue coin when stomped. The sound when stumping noticably differs from ordinary goombas.
Causes no damage when touched, but two units of damage when exploding. Can be picked up and thrown.
They do not explode. Pressing "B" near them causes them to unlock a cannon. An additional one in Bob-omb battlefield tells a story about rivalry with the normal (grey) Bob-ombs.
Causes no damage when bumped, gives a blue coin (worth five coins) and a Koopa shell when stomped. The shell can be used to surf on water and lava, and allows riding up slippery slopes uphill.
A stompable Koopa is found in Bob-omb Battlefield. In some courses, such as Jolly-Roger Bay and Shifting Sand Land, Koopa shells are located in breakable boxes.
Elevates Marios altitude and provides a birds-eye view of the course. Found in Tall Tall Mountain, Whomp's Fortress, and Snowman's Land.
Spits fire, which causes three units of damage. Bumping causes two units of damage. Stomping causes Mario to spin, which allows him to glide for long distances through the air. Found in Tall Tall Mountain and Snowman's Land.
Quader brick which tries to throws itself on Mario. Causes three units of damage if it flattens Mario. Needs to be stomped using ground pound. Found in Thromp's Fortress and Bowser in the Sky.
Grabs and throws Mario. Dangerous because located near tall slopes and high platforms such as in Rainbow Ride, Wet-Dry World, Bowser in the Sky, and Tall-Tall Mountain. Can be destroyed by being picked up and thrown by Mario.
Located throughout the castle. Engaging by pressing "A" makes them tell a story and/or praise Mario. Three of them provide a star, one located in the basement near the entry to "Hazy Maze Cave", one in the upper hallway, and another one in the dark_cyan-walled star room near the top of the castle.