|General | Proposals | Projects | Featured books||General | Technical | Administrative||Deletion | Undeletion | Import | Permissions|
Welcome to the Projects reading room. On this page, Wikibookians can talk about subjects related to books, book projects, and other tasks here on Wikibooks that require discussion and organization.
Character name appendix clean-upEdit
Hey, I have a task force page called User:Cilantrohead/Character_name_appendix_clean-up now. Basically the crew monitors and cleans up the character name pages in the appenfix to Writing Adolescent Fiction in the ways listed. If you're interested in joining, or if in practice you've already been doing it, check out the task force and add your name to the list! Cilantrohead (discuss • contribs) 04:49, 18 September 2017 (UTC)
Redirects to cookbook from normal namespaceEdit
I propose creating redirects from pages that are in the cookbook from pages that have the same title but do not have the Cookbook prefix.
- @PokestarFan: I would oppose this (btw, would have thought this would go in the proposals reading room rather than projects, but, whatever).
- Pages in cookbook space are essentially module-level, whereas standalone pages in mainspace are book-level. So, redirecting from mainspace to cookbook pages would be similar, in that sense, to having mainspace redirects to individual pages in books, defying our convention that pages within a book are subpages of the book's main page.
- The namespaces are separate in order to distinguish pages in one space from pages in another, and this would seem to degrade that separation. If one wants to search both spaces, one can; if one wants to search just one space, one can, but creating these redirects would make that less true.
- At some point in the future, I hope we'll do things to facilitate searching modules by topic. Our category infrastructure has never properly supported that, due to confusion in the category hierarchy arising from our various other uses of categories, hence the massive category rearrangements I've set in motion (which various others have been helping with). Module-level topic categories are presumably something to be thinking about now, in preparation for acting on it sometime after the current phase of category rearrangement is completed. At the current rate, it might be a half a year or more before completion of the current phase. --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 03:10, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
Advice on a new category about cultivationEdit
I was thinking of creating some pages about plants cultivation, not in general but specifically for each plant. This project could become big, if there is a good response from people, so I would like to start it in a proper and scalable way from now.
Should I just create the pages at top level and then add them to the category, For example: Cultivation of Urtica dioica and add the plant cultivation category?
Or should I do as the cookbook does, so Cultivation:Urtica dioica, and then also add the category of course? Could you point me out using wikibooks best practices for doing so? Maybe something like the wikiprojects on wikipedia?
- @Beleriandcrises: Here we create coherent books, rather than individual pages. What you're describing sounds like a book with modules for individual plants. There would probably be some elements of the book that would be independent of any one plant, too; and/or, cross-reference to related books. We have a book Horticulture, which belongs to Subject:Agriculture and husbandry.