Cookbook:Upeseru (Indian Lentils with Greens)
|Upeseru (Indian Lentils with Greens)
Upeseru is a rural speciality of the South of India, and villages around the state of Karnataka in particular. The main recipe is for a solid dish of lentils and greens, and the water drained from this is often used in an accompanying wet sauce to be eaten with mudde (ragi balls). The combination of the three is a common complete meal.
- 1½ cups dhal or other lentils, cooked but not drained
- 5 handfuls of a leafy green such as spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1–6 green chillies, split lengthwise, according to taste
- Salt to taste
- Fry the mustard seed, curry leaves, onion and green chillies in oil until the onions are partly browned.
- Meanwhile, set the lentils on the stove. Add the chopped spinach and boil until the spinach is tender.
- Drain and set the water aside separately for the next part.
- Stir in the spice mixture and salt to taste, keeping on the heat until the flavours have blended.