Cookbook:Rye Bread Layer Cake
|Rye Bread Layer Cake|
Rugbrødslagkage (Danish for "rye bread layered cake") is a cake with whipped cream and layers having grated rye bread. Layered cakes of this type are eaten at birthday parties in Denmark, but this recipe with rye bread is quite rare though.
Three days before servingEdit
- Leave a couple of slices of rye bread to dry outside of the fridge and without wrapping.
The day before servingEdit
- Grate the now-dry rye bread.
- Turn on oven at 220°C (or 200°C for convection ovens).
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg yolk with sugar, cacao, potato flour, baking powder, and grated rye bread. Carefully fold in the beaten whites with a spoon.
- Spread the batter 1 cm thick on buttered baking paper in a cake form. The dough should be enough for 4 or 5 layers. Bake for 10 minutes at 220°C. Only in case of convection oven, more layers can be baked above each other.
- Let the layers cool completely.
- Whip two thirds of the cream, and distribute it between the layers. Cover and chill in the fridge overnight.
Just before servingEdit
- Cover top and sides with whipped cream.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Leaving the half-done cake in the fridge overnight improves the taste.