Cookbook:Kheer (Rice Pudding)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Kheer)
|Kheer (Rice Pudding)|
|Energy||1500–2100 kJ (358–502 kcal) per serving|
Kheer or payasam is a thick rice pudding.
- Bring the milk to a boil. Stir regularly to prevent scorching.
- Add rice and simmer slowly until thick (about 20 minutes).
- Stir in the sugar, sultanas, and the ground cardamom seeds. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the almonds and rosewater, and cover until ready to serve.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- You can leave the kheer boiling for much longer (several hours), until it has been significantly reduced; this provides a stronger flavour and a light-pink colour.
- You can use rice flour or vermicelli instead of plain rice.
- You can add some red soda to give it a nice pinkish-whitish colour.
- For kheer that is not too thick when cold, use 170 ml (⅔ cup) of rice instead of the amount listed above.
- If to be eaten cold, it's nicer to use double the quantities of sugar, sultanas, and almonds.
- The main difficulty in this dish is preventing the kheer from sticking to the bottom of the pan, which requires care.