Cookbook:Hot Milk Cake
(Redirected from Cookbook:Hot milk cake)
Hot milk cake can be fabulous, but the recipe is not for the timid. Expect a couple attempts that fail to rise before getting it right. Beating the eggs very well is important.
- An hour before baking, take eggs and butter out of the refrigerator to reach room temperature.
- Heat together milk and butter until butter melts. Cool to just warm.
- Add vanilla.
- If you sift the flour, do so after measuring. Mix dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs until lemon-colored — this could take 5-10 minutes.
- Add sugar slowly, beating well.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Add milk mixture very slowly, folding it in by hand toward the end.
- Divide the batter into 2 greased and floured 9 inch (230 mm) round cake pans.
- Bake about 30 minutes at 350 °F (175 °C).
- Cool on racks for 10 minutes (you may need to run a knife around the edge first) then turn out to cool.
- Frost with mocha icing, other icing, or with strawberries.