Cookbook:Gingerbread Cookies Frosted with Royal Icing
|Gingerbread Cookies Frosted with Royal Icing|
|Servings||Makes about 3 dozen|
|Time||Prep: 30-40 minutes
Then 15 minutes per batch
Gingerbread Cookies Frosted with Royal Icing
- Flourless cooking spray
- 3¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- royal icing
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, ginger, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and honey on medium speed, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mix until smooth and light, another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix on low until the dough is evenly mixed.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface.
- Pat into an even disk.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 20 or 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a ¼-inch thickness.
- Use 5½-inch cookie cutters to cut out cookies.
- Transfer cookies to prepared cookie sheets, spacing them about an inch apart.
- Bake the cookie until they are firm, about 10 to 14 minutes, depending on size.
- Transfer the cookies to wire racks and let cool completely before decorating, if desired.
- Bake the remaining dough in batches, as directed.
- Frost with royal icing.