Cookbook:Coconut Chutney (South Indian)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Coconut Chutney)
- 1½ Tbs channa dal
- 1 cup finely grated fresh coconut
- 6 to 8 green hot chili peppers
- ½ tsp tamarind paste
- 1 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the channa dal until browned. Allow it to cool.
- Grind the roasated dal, coconut, chiles, tamarind paste, cilantro, ginger paste, and salt in a blender with as little water as possible. For best results the final consistency must be somewhere between coarse and smooth paste.
- For seasoning heat the oil in a small ladle. Add the mustard seeds to hot oil and allow it to crackle. When the crackling starts subsiding add the asafoetida and the curry leaves, and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the chutney and mix well.