(Redirected from Cookbook:Side dishes)
Cookbook | Recipes | Ingredients
The category of side dishes is a somewhat general super-category in any cookbook.
One might best define a side dish in terms of the way it is served for a particular meal, as being:
- “A medium-size portion of any primarily vegetable dish (including, for certainty, all grains and starches), which is served on the same plate with, or in a dish alongside, the main dish, that is not intended to be the main dish or a co-equal of the main dish, and, if in a separate dish, is not intended to be some other course, such as an appetizer or a dessert. The serving size of a side dish is larger than that of a mere accent item or condiment.”
In other words, the definition of a side dish is primarily based on what the item is intended to be, and is served as, taken in context.
For a complete, automatically generated, alphabetical list of pages which have been categorized, on their individual pages, as being a side dish see: Side dish recipes.
Below are a few side dish recipes users have added to this page by hand:
- Black-Eyed Peas and Kale
- Bengal Potatoes
- Bubble and Squeak
- Coconut Chutney
- English Field Bean Pate
- French Fries
- Grammy's Potato Salad (USA)
- Hominy Grits
- Onion Chutney
- Potatoes Anna
- Pulse Chutney
- Rosemary Garlic Baked Potatoes
- Simple Nachos
- Tomatoes with Cheese Stuffing
- Ukrainian Cornmeal Stuffing (Nachynka)
- Yerushalmi kugel