Cookbook:Rice and Lentils (Mejadra)
|Rice and Lentils (Mejadra)|
|Category||Middle Eastern recipes|
Extremely simple to cook, this dish is a fundamental component of Middle Eastern cuisine. It provides carbohydrates, proteins, and a full stomach. It also tastes great.
When cooked with rice, this recipe is gluten-free. It isn't gluten free when cooked with bulgur (wheat).
The more common recipe uses rice. Bulgur can be substituted for rice, with the exact same procedure.
- Fry the lentils in oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously, until the first beans show signs of scorching. (To maintain sweeter flavour, only cook onions till transparent.)
- Add salt, baharat, cumin, ground cardamom.
- Add 2 cups water and cover. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed by the lentils.
- Fry the rice in oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously, until the grains change colour.
- Add salt, black or white pepper, and ground cardamom.
- Add 2 cups water and cover. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer. After 5 minutes turn the heat off, and leave standing for another 10 minutes.
- Cut the onion into thin strips (about ½ cm x 4 cm).
- Fry the onion in mixed olive oil until crisp and translucent.
- Mix the lentils and rice, and top with the fried onion.
- Add 2 parts lentils to 1 part rice for a moist consistency.