Cookbook:Lentils and Rice (Mjeddrah)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Mjeddrah)
|Lentils and Rice (Mjeddrah)|
Mjeddrah is a stout lentil and rice stew, a Lebanese staple.
- ½ cup brown lentils, soaked an hour or more
- ½ cup onion, sliced
- A little chopped carrot, celery, etc. (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup long grain brown rice, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon whole or ground cumin
- Minced garlic (optional)
- Dried chili pepper (optional)
- ½ cinnamon stick (optional)
- A few cardamom pods (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Pick over the lentils to remove any stones.
- Sauté the onion and any other vegetables in the olive oil for a minute or two.
- If desired, sauté the rice for a short time, but do not let it burn.
- Add the rice, water, cumin, garlic, chili pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom to the pot of onions. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes to 1 hour. You will have to check it occasionally and add water—the final product should have some liquid but should not be very soupy. It is finished when the rice and lentils are both no longer crunchy.
- Season with salt and pepper.