Cookbook:Ofe Ujuju (Nigerian Ujuju Soup)
Ofe ujuju is a soup from the eastern region of Nigeria. It is made with a common leaf called ujuju, and some cooks may add okra or ogbono as well. It can be served with any desired swallow, although eba is a common choice.
- Wash the ujuju leaves thoroughly, and remove the middle ribs.
- Cook the leaves for a few minutes in boiling water to soften. Drain the water.
- Transfer drained leaves to a mortar, and mash them uniformly.
- Combine goat meat, salt, seasoning cubes, pepper, and onion in a pot.
- Cover with water, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until meat is cooked through.
- Add the stockfish, dryfish, ground crayfish, and locust beans. Allow to cook for few seconds.
- Mix in palm oil and the smashed ujuju leaves.
- Allow simmer for a few minutes without covering the pot.
- Remove from heat, and serve hot.