Cookbook:Galaktoboureko (Greek Semolina Custard Pastry)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Galaktoboureko)
|Galaktoboureko (Greek Semolina Custard Pastry)|
|Time||30 minutes preparation + 1 hour baking|
The Galaktoboureko (Γαλακτομπούρεκο in Greek) is a traditional Greek dessert. It is made with phyllo, also known as filo or fillo dough, which is filled with a custard of semolina flavored with citron. It is served with syrup.
- 150 g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 150 g semolina
- 1 liter milk
- 2 vanilla beans
- the juice of half a lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 450 g phyllo
- Melted butter
- 125 ml water
- 150 grams of sugar
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Combine sugar, eggs, and semolina in a saucepan. Mix in milk and vanilla beans. Stir in lemon juice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring with a fork the whole time. When it starts boiling, reduce heat to low and keep stirring for another 10 minutes. Remove mixture from the heat, and let cool.
- Brush some melted butter over each sheet of phyllo dough.
- Butter a pan, and place half the phyllo in it sheet by sheet. Pour the cooled semolina custard over the pastry, and cover with the remaining buttered phyllo.
- Sprinkle pastry with a bit of water.
- Bake pastry at 356°F / 180°C / Gas mark 4 for 1 hour. Let cool.
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Let syrup cool.
- Stir in the lemon juice once cooled in order to preserve the vitamin C.
- Brush the finished pastry with syrup, and serve.