Cookbook:Gado-gado (Indonesian Salad with Peanut Sauce)
|Gado-gado (Indonesian Salad with Peanut Sauce)|
|1,01 mcal per serving|
For 4 servings:
- 1 gr terasi (fermented prawn paste)
- Vegetable oil
- 300 g peanuts
- fresh or dried chili pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 125 gr Gula Jawa (Indonesian Palm Sugar)
- 4 shallot
- fresh lime juice, or rice vinegar
- Hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Whole potatoes, steamed or boiled
- mixed vegetables (cabbage, bean sprouts, cucumber, chayote, water spinach, asparagus bean, spinach). Cauliflower, green beans, watercress, carrots, tomatoes, or peas are sometimes included but less common.
- deep fried soybean cake
- deep fried tempeh
- deep fried kerupuk (fish or prawn crackers)
- deep fried shallot
- Fry prawn paste with vegetable oil until fragrant
- Fry the peanuts until golden brown. Remove from the pan and leave to cool, then drain off all but a little of the excess oil.
- Grind the peanuts to a paste.
- Add ground chili pepper, garlic, salt, sugarm and prawn paste to the peanut paste. Grind to mix.
- Put peanut paste in a pan, add some water to dissolve (use coconut milk for richer taste).
- Add additional sugar into the peanut sauce to taste, and bring to the boil.
- Simmer peanut sauce until thick, and season with the lime juice or vinegar.
- Remove the skin from the boiled potatoes. Deep fry the potatoes until golden brown, then slice.
- Wash, shred or chop cabbage, spinach, and water spinach.
- Boil water in a pan. Add cabbage, and cook until tender. Drain.
- Use strained boiling water to boil the spinach and water spinach, one after another. Drain.
- Blanch bean sprout for about 30 seconds. Drain.
- Peel chayote, wash, slice, and boil until tender.
- Wash and slice cucumber.
- Place the salad, sliced potatoes, fried tofu, fried tempeh, and eggs in a large plate, either randomly or in layers.
- Pour the peanut sauce over the salad.
- Spread deep fried shallots on top, and serve with kerupuk.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Prawn crackers are non-vegetarian. You can substitute them with kerupuk sayur or emping if you wish this dish to be completely vegetarian.
- Add some kecap manis (Malay/Indonesian sweet soy sauce) to taste.
- You may substitute the peanut sauce recipe for the procedure here.
- cashew nuts is secret ingredient to make peanut sauce tastes richer.
- Some cooks like to blanche or steam the cabbage, cauliflower, and carrots rather than serve them raw.
- Use chunky peanut butter as substitute for ground peanuts.
- Use chili sauce to substitute fresh or dried chili pepper.