|1,01 mcal per serving|
- For the salad:
- mixed vegetables (cabbage, bean sprouts, cucumber, chayote, water spinach, asparagus bean, spinach). Cauliflower, green beans, watercress, carrots, tomatoes, or peas are sometimes included but less common.
- deep fried soybean cake
- deep fried tempeh
- boiled eggs
- deep fried kerupuk (fish or prawn crackers)
- deep fried shallot
For the peanut sauce
- Fry prawn paste with cooking oil until fragrant
- Fry the peanuts until golden brown, remove from the pan and leave to cool, and drain off all but a little of the excess oil
- Grind the peanuts to make paste
- Add ground fresh chili pepper, garlic, salt, brown sugar and prawn paste to the peanut paste, grind to mix
- Put peanut paste in a pan, add some water to dissolve (use coconut milk for richer taste)
- Add some sugar into the peanut sauce to taste and bring to the boil
- Simmer peanut sauce until thick and season with the lemon or lime juice.
For the salad
- Hard-boil the eggs and slice
- Steam or boil the potatoes then remove the skin
- Deep fry the boiled potatoes until golden brown, then slice
- Wash, shred or chop cabbage, spinach and water spinach
- Boil water in a pan, put cabbage in boiling water until cooked, strain
- Use strained boiling water, boil spinach and water spinach, one after another, strain
- Blanche bean sprout for about 30 seconds, strain
- Peel chayote, wash, slice, and boil until tender
- Wash then slice cucumber
- Place the salad, sliced potatoes, fried tofu, fried tempeh, and eggs in a large plate, either randomly or in layers
- Pour the peanut sauce over the salad
- Spread deep fried shallots on top and serve with kerupuk.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Prawn crackers are non-vegetarian. You can substitute them with kerupuk sayur or emping if you wish this dish to be completely vegetarian.
- Put some kecap manis (Malay/Indonesian sweet soy sauce) to taste.
- You may substitute the peanut sauce recipe for the procedure here.
- cashew nuts is secret ingredient to make peanut sauce tastes richer.
- Some cooks like to blanche or steam the cabbage, cauliflower, and carrots rather than serve them raw.
- Use chunky peanut butter as substitute for ground peanuts.
- Use chili sauce to substitute fresh or dried chili pepper.