The Victoria sandwich (also known as the Victoria sponge) is a Victorian cake that is popular in the UK.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F or Gas Mark 6).
- Cream the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until softened.
- Add the 3 eggs, the vanilla essence, and the flour and mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the two greased cake pans.
- Bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes (10–15 in a fan-assisted oven) until firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Turn one cake upside down and spread jam and whipped cream over it. Then, place the second cake on top.
- Cut into wedges, and serve.