The Victoria Sandwich (also known as the Victoria Sponge) is a Victorian cake that is popular in the UK.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F or Gas Mark 6).
- Cream the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until softened
- Add the 3 eggs, the vanilla essence and the flour and mix until smooth
- Divide the mixture between two greased circle pans
- Bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes (10–15 in a fan-assisted oven) until firm to the touch
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Turn one upside down and spread jam and cream over it and place the other on top