The rating parameter for this template is deprecated; use the difficulty parameter instead
A vada is a savoury South Indian doughnut made from lentils (or sometimes potatoes). This is a recipe for medu vada.
- Wash and soak urad dal for six hours.
- Grind into a fine paste.
- Add salt, asafoetida, curry leaves, cumin powder and crushed peppercorns to the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Wet your palms and take batter into the palms.
- Shape into balls and make a hole with the thumb in the centre like a doughnut.
- Deep-fry this in medium hot oil until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Medu vada is also commonly accompanied by idli.