Cookbook:Scottish Wheat Bannock Bread
(Redirected from Cookbook:Scottish Wheat Bannock)
|Scottish Wheat Bannock Bread|
A recipe from Nova Scotia that is called both Scottish bannock and Irish soda bread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Combine dry ingredients. Rub in butter until crumbly.
- Mix in buttermilk to make a soft, workable dough. Knead dough briefly.
- Make dough into a disc about 3 inches thick. Cut an X shape in dough with a knife (1 cm or so deep). Transfer to an oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 50–70 minutes (depending on your oven) until a skewer stuck in comes out with no "gooeyness" on it
- Let cool 5–10 minutes after taking from the oven, then break apart with your hands into serving-sized chunks.