Rasmalai is a very popular Indian milk based dessert recipe.
- 250 g panir (curdled milk)
- 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons refined flour (maida)
- 4 cups sugar
- 10 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 4 almonds
- 4 pistachios
- Crumble chenna and knead it.
- Add two tablespoons of maida and knead again with the palm to make a smooth dough.
- Divide into sixteen equal portions, roll into balls and press slightly to flatten them.
- Thinly slice almonds and pistachios. Dissolve two cups sugar in two cups of water, bring to a boil.
- Slowly lower the chenna balls in the boiling syrup and cook on high heat for ten minutes. Sprinkle a little water and half tablespoon of maida and bring to a boil again.
- Cook for few minutes. Meanwhile boil milk in a thick-bottomed pan, lower heat and continue to boil till it is reduced to a thick consistency (one-third of its original volume).
- Add rest of the sugar and green cardamom powder and keep boiling till the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate for an hour.
- Add sliced almonds, pistachios and orange powder and mix again.
- Squeeze the chenna balls and put them into the chilled milk. Refrigerate it for another half an hour. Serve chilled.