Cookbook:Madbucha (North African Peppers and Tomatoes)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Madbucha)
|Madbucha (North African Peppers and Tomatoes)
Madbucha or matbucha is a North African dish of stewed tomatoes and peppers. It can be used as a side dish with meats, as well as put on bread or white rice. There's more then one way to make it, and the following recipe is a family recipe.
- Take a pot that is big enough for all of the above ingredients, cover the bottom with oil, and put it on a flame.
- When the oil gets hot, add the onion and garlic.
- When they start to fry, add the rest of the vegetables and salt.
- Mix it up a bit and cover the pot.
- Leave it to cook, mixing it every so often, until the level of the liquid is higher than the level of the vegetables.
- Drain off most (but not all) the liquid.
- Add the tomato paste and the spices.
- Mix, and let it cool.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- When chopping the peppers, you want them small but not so small that they disappear when cooked.
- The peppers can be any color, but red is traditional.