Cookbook:Lemon Meringue Pie (American)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Desserts | US Cuisine
|Lemon Meringue Pie (American)|
|Time||prep: 45 minutes|
baking: ~35 minutes
This is the American old-fashioned lemon meringue pie with a gel-like filling. If you want a sticky filling, use the British Lemon Meringue Pie recipe instead.
- 1½ (360ml) cups cold water
- 1 cup (240g) white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (120ml) lemon juice (from about 2 lemons or bottled lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- Prepare and bake Grandma's Pie Crust or a ready-made refrigerated or frozen pie crust.
- Let cool.
- In a saucepan whisk together water, sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, turmeric, lemon juice and lemon zest. Make sure any flour or cornstarch lumps are stirred until they dissolve.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to simmer. Stir constantly.
- Add butter, stir until melted.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Add about ½ cup (120g) of hot lemon mixture into eggs and stir well. This tempers the egg yolks so they won't scramble when added to the simmering lemon mixture.
- Pour tempered egg mixture into pan of simmering lemon mixture. Stir until well mixed.
- Continue simmering lemon filling about 2 minutes until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Pour into cooled pie shell and allow to cool while preparing meringue.
- Place 4 egg whites in mixer and whisk at high speed until they start to foam.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites then, while continuing to beat, add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat about 30 seconds between tablespoonfuls of sugar.
- Continue to beat meringue until stiff peaks form when beaters are raised from bowl.
- Spread meringue over pie, starting on lemon pie filling, using rubber spatula. Spread over edges of crust, completely sealing in the lemon pie filling.
- To form peaks in meringue, using a rubber spatula, touch flat side of spatula on meringue and pull away. Repeat over entire surface of meringue.
- Place pie in 350°F (180°C) oven for 15 minutes until high points of meringue are lightly browned.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- The pie filling is quite hot when pouring it into pie shell.
- Keep this pie refrigerated.
- In humid weather meringue may "weep" (small dots of liquid form on the surface). To lessen this possibility, apply meringue to lemon filling while it is still hot, cool pie to room temperature before refrigerating, and/or use confectioner's (powdered -- 4X or 10X) sugar instead of granulated sugar when making the meringue.