Cookbook:Lemon Drizzle Cake
|Lemon Drizzle Cake|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Dessert
Lemon drizzle cake is a simple butter cake flavored with lemon zest and juice, and topped with a lemony icing.
- 280 g (9.9 oz/2¼ sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 280 g (9.9 oz/1¼ cups) superfine sugar
- 5 standard eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 300 g (11 oz/2¼ cups) self-raising flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 150 g (5.3 oz/1¼ cups) powdered sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (374 °F). Grease and line a 20 cm (7.9 in) square cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, until soft and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then lemon juice and zest.
- Fold the flour and baking powder into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave it to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until it is thick enough to coat the back of spoon.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake.