|Grotten Hans (Steamed Sweet Bread)|
|Time||2 hours 30 minutes|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Grotten hans is a recipe that has been called a big dumpling but is basically a steamed pudding. The recipe was traditional in the German areas of Russia.
- Cream together lard, sugar and salt. Mix in eggs.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Add this flour mixture to the lard mixture alternatively with the milk. Mix well.
- Pour batter into a well-greased 2-pound coffee can or other heat-safe mold. A piece parchment paper on the bottom of the can works well to prevent sticking. Cover with foil, and tie this on with a string.
- Set this tin into a large pot of hot water a few inches (~3) deep. Let steam for 2 hours.
- Mix raisins, water, lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan. Simmer for 1 hour. Mix in a bit or cornstarch, and cook until thickened.
- Unmold the grotten hans, and serve with the sauce.
Notes, tips, and variations
- The old way to cook this involved boiling in a cloth: Dip a towel in hot water, then cold water, then sprinkle with flour. Pour dumpling batter onto towel and tie up. Drop into boiling water and cook for 2 hours.
- Cherry sauce is nice also.