Cookbook:Glorified Mac and Cheese
|Glorified Mac and Cheese|
This recipe is based on a macaroni and cheese recipe, with additions of meat and vegetables to promote it from a side dish to a main course.
- 250 g (½ pound) macaroni
- 30 g (1 ounce) flour
- 45 g (3 Tablespoons) butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 140 g (5 ounces) shredded cheese (e.g. cheddar, emmental, gruyère or whatever you like)
- 2 hot dogs, sliced
- 140 g (5 ounces) frozen green vegetables (e.g. spinach, kale, broccoli, peas, or whatever you like)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a casserole or baking dish.
- On the stovetop, bring 2 liters (2 quarts) of salted water to a boil; add the macaroni and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente.
- While the macaroni is cooking, start making the roux. Mix the flour and butter in a saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring until blended and bubbling.
- Add the milk, salt and pepper and stir until thickened. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and add the cheese, sliced hotdogs, and frozen vegetables.
- When the macaroni is done, drain and put in the greased casserole. Pour the sauce over the noodles and stir till combined.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top, then sprinkle grated parmesan and paprika over the tomato slices.
- Bake for 40 minutes.