Macaroni Pie is a side dish that goes well with stewed chicken, callalloo or any stewed peas like pigeon peas or lentils, but can also be enjoyed on its own.
- 1 package macaroni (225 grams / 8 oz.)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1½ cups evaporated milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
- a pinch of unsalted butter
- Boil macaroni in salted water until tender; drain.
- Beat eggs until fluffy.
- Combine macaroni, eggs, cheese, milk, onion, carrot, salt, white pepper, mustard and butter.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheese and bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs on top of macaroni to cover it evenly.
- Bake at 175°C (350°F) until firm (approx. 30 minutes). A fork or metal skewer should come out dry when you press it all the way through the pie.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Macaroni pie can be enhanced further by adding ingredients such as tomato, chopped herbs, minced beef or roasted onions. Also try using a few varieties of cheese together.
- Use your imagination.
- Usually best when the surface has browned to an even colour.
- Some people sprinkle breadcrumbs on the surface prior to baking.