- 1 cup buckwheat flour (135 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup maple syrup (60 ml/70g)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce (60 ml/65 g)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp of grated fresh ginger (8 g)
- 3 ripe bananas (should have dark spots on the peel)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped dark chocolate/chocolate chips (30 g)
- Preheat oven to 170° Celsius (338° Fahrenheit)
- Mix the buckwheat flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the maple syrup with the applesauce, the lemon juice and the grated ginger. Mash the bananas using the back of a fork before mixing them with the other wet ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the banana mixture. Be careful not to overmix. You don’t want to beat out all of the air.
- Once everything is mixed well together, add the dark chocolate and gently mix again.
- Line a baking tray (20 x 20 cm/ 8x8 inch) with parchment paper and pour the batter into it.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothstick comes out clean.