(Redirected from Cookbook:Corn Bread)
- 1 cup (140 grams (4.9 oz)) cornmeal
- 1 cup (140 grams (4.9 oz)) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (250 milliliters (8.5 US fl oz)) milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (60 grams (2.1 oz)) shortening, melted
- ¼ cup (55 grams (1.9 oz)) sugar (optional)
- ½ of a 15-ounce (430 g) can whole corn, drained (optional)
- ¼ onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (218 °C). Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan.
- Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, milk, and shortening.
- Beat until fairly smooth; about a minute.
- If using corn and/or onion, fold in these ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If corn added to batter, increase time ~50%
- Serve hot!