- 2 cups rice (preferably Basmati)
- 500g (1 lb) chicken
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 300 ml (10 oz) yoghurt
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1.5 cm ginger, peeled and sliced
- Cook soaked and washed rice.(Preferably Basmati Rice)
- Marinate the chicken in lemon juice, yoghurt, ginger, garlic, salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, cloves, chillis, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée
- Heat oil in a cooker and add onions, cook till onions turn golden brown. Add these to the chicken.
- Grease a heavy bottomed deep and wide mouthed pan. Place a layer of rice. Put in the masala (the chicken and marinade) Top with the rest of the rice and put the saffron on top
- Heat in the oven for 1 - 1½ hours at 150°C (300°F); to check whether ready, cut into a piece of chicken to see if it is cooked.
- Serve the biryani with yoghurt on the side