Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Bread | Breakfast Recipes
A delicious bran muffin recipe that makes an excellent breakfast.
- 1 cup (240 ml) natural wheat bran
- ¾ cup (180 ml) cultured buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup (240 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) brown sugar
- Stir wheat bran and buttermilk together in a mixing bowl.
- Cream together egg, brown sugar and margarine in another mixing bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a third bowl. Add to batter, and stir just to moisten.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.
Notes, tips and variationsEdit
- For bran raisin muffins, add 1 cup raisins.
- If you do not want to buy store-bought cultured buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Let it sit for five minutes before using.
- Tastes best when still warm.