Cookbook:Apple Raisin Oat Muffins
|Apple Raisin Oat Muffins|
|Serving Size:||1/21 of recipe (56 g)|
|Servings Per Recipe:||21|
|Amount per serving|
|Calories from fat||40|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Muffins are one of many traditional breakfast quickbreads; unlike biscuits, muffins usually contain some form of fruit or other garnish. These muffins are especially healthy because they are made with whole wheat flour and oats. See the notes at the bottom of the recipe for ideas about how to customize this muffin recipe to your own tastes; the basic proportions should work for any flavor of oat muffin.
1.5 cup (360 mL) whole wheat flour 180 100% 1.5 cup (360 mL) rolled oats 121.5 67.5% 1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder 13.8 7.67% 0.5 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda 2.3 1.28% 0.25 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar 50 27.78% 0.25 cup (60 mL) brown sugar 55 30.56% 1 whole egg 50 27.78% 1 cup (240 mL) milk, whole or 2% 244 135.56% 0.33 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil (your favorite is fine) 71.94 39.97% 2 cup (480 mL) apple, grated (Granny Smith is an excellent choice) 372 206.67% 2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon 5.2 2.89% 0.5 tsp (2.5 mL) nutmeg 1.1 0.61% 0.5 tsp (2.5 mL) salt 3 1.67% 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract 4.2 2.33% 0.25 cup (60 mL) raisins 36.25 20.14% Formula 1210.29 672.38%
- Large mixing bowl
- Smaller mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Muffin pan(s)
- Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C)
- Grease muffin pans with cold butter, shortening, or pan spray
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda
- In a smaller bowl, thoroughly combine eggs, sugar, milk, oil, apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and raisins
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with bare hands until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Fill muffin cups about three-quarters full, then place on oven's upper rack and turn the oven down to 375 °F (190 °C)
- Turn muffin pans 180° after 10 minutes; check for doneness after 15 minutes
- Muffins usually take 20 to 25 minutes to cook completely
- Allow to cool briefly (2-5 minutes) before removing from pan
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Overmixing will lead to worming, which is caused by gluten development. You will see this as vertical tunnels running through your muffins, much like a worm might leave.
- Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database (NND), except for apple, for which a sample was grated, measured to 237 mL and weighed 10 times, and answers averaged. Original recipe text and ingredient order preserved. Brown sugar and raisins not specified as packed or unpacked, packed presumed. Large egg presumed. All conversions performed on U.S. customary (i.e. cups, teaspoons, etc.). USDA NND uses a cup size of about 237 mL, while the milliliter entries are using the FDA cup size of 240 mL.