- Preheat oven.
- Sift all dry ingredients into bowl.
- Cut in shortening until like coarse meal.
- Beat egg lightly and add to milk.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix with fork until dough holds together.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead lightly with floured fingers.
- Roll out 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick and cut with floured cutter (a round cookie cutter).
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 450°F (230°C) for 12 minutes.
- ↑ Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database. Original recipe ingredient order preserved, parenthetical moved to note, otherwise text unchanged. All purpose flour and whole milk used for weight conversions. Egg size presumed as large.
- ↑ Preferably a soft wheat flour; look for flour labeled "soft wheat" or "better for biscuits". If no soft flour is available, mixing three parts all-purpose with one part cake flour will get you close.