Wikibooks:Welcome(Redirected from Wikibooks:Welcome, newcomers)
Wikibooks is a Wikimedia project for collaboratively writing open-content textbooks that anyone, including you, can edit right now by clicking on the edit link that appears near the top of each Wikibooks page. Wikibooks has two sub-projects; Wikijunior which is aimed at children and the Cookbook which is our collection of recipes and culinary topics. Contributors maintain the property rights to their contributions, while the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License and the GNU Free Documentation License makes sure that the submitted version and its derivative works will always remain freely distributable and reproducible. See Wikibooks:Copyrights for more information. Wikibooks went online on 10 July 2003.
Feel free to browse around our growing number of steadily improving books and be sure to check out our collection of featured books.
Wikibooks is very much a community effort, so feel free to improve and add to the existing content, start a new book, and join project-related discussions in the Wikibooks reading rooms.
- What is Wikibooks? - what Wikibooks includes, and what it does not include.
- Wikibooks for Wikimedians - for those coming from other Wikimedia projects.
- Guidelines for class projects - for creating structured production of textbooks by educational institutions.
- Policies and guidelines - requirements and conventions developed by the community.
Find a Book
There are many ways to find a book at Wikibooks. Try searching for it or browse through our catalog systems:
To quickly get up to speed on using Wikibooks, you should head over to the Help:Contents page.
Seeing how we're a community to foster the authoring of books, Wikibookians have written books that may help you in participating in the project:
Getting in touch
Other Wikimedia projects
- Commons, a free-content media repository. (See Wikimedia Commons for background)
- Wikinews, a free-content news source. (See Wikinews for background)
- Wikipedia, an encyclopedia. (See Wikipedia for background)
- Wiktionary, a dictionary and thesaurus. (See Wiktionary for background)
- Wikiquote, a collection of quotations. (See Wikiquote for background)
- Wikisource, a collection of free source documents. (See Wikisource for background)
- Wikiversity, a collection of free learning tools. (See Wikiversity for background)
- Wikispecies, a free and open directory of all other forms of life.
- Wikivoyage, a diverse set of travel guides.
- Wikibooks Portal for a list of Wikibooks in other languages.