Wikibooks:Reading room/Administrative Assistance
|General | Proposals | Projects | Featured books||General | Technical | Administrative||Deletion | Undeletion | Import | Permissions|
| To request a rename or usurpation, go to the global request page at Meta here.
Please do not post those requests here!
Welcome to the Administrative Assistance reading room. You can request assistance from administrators for handling a variety of problems here and alert them about problems which may require special actions not normally used during regular content editing. Please be patient as administrators are often quite busy with either their own projects or trying to perform general maintenance and cleanup.
You can deal with most vandalism yourself: fix it, then warn the user. If there is repeated vandalism by one user, lots of vandalism on a single page, or vandalism from many users, tell an admin here, or in #wikibooks (say
!admin to get attention).
For more general questions and assistance that doesn't require an administrator, please use the Assistance Reading Room.
Hi Artix here
If you have noticed, I've been globally locked. It was a good run though. I was falsely accused of sockpuppetry that is being unblocked. An appeal is in t he works for an unblock. Unfortunately, the sock block quickly spiralled out of control as other users decided to hunt across wiki and block me on several other wikis. Thus it was proper for a lock by a steward, as it was not worth continuing as a user with this username.
Much thanks to several users who made my time on wikibooks awesome. Shoutout to Atcovi, Pi zero, and QuiteUnusual for being friendly people and helpful to my enrichment. It was awesome editing the articles for the Guide to the Lord of the Rings and the Inheritance Cycle. Some day perhaps, I will come back and finish those books. Cheers. It was a pleasure.
Speedy deletion backlog
Any administrator to assist me by deleting some of my pages at Category:Candidates for speedy deletion. These were botched moves, if they are not deleted in time I may not be able to continue with my books. Regards --Synoman Barris (discuss • contribs) 11:08, 14 September 2020 (UTC)
- @Synoman Barris: Speedy-requests processed, mostly. However, I'm unclear on why they would impede continuing with your books; what impediment do you have in mind, there? --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 14:04, 14 September 2020 (UTC)
- @Pi zero:The botched move on culture of Zimbabwe to Culture of Botswana then back again, created a redirect which made it impossible to fix my bad move. I am currently following a a time table I made for myself on progress with this book hence I have to finish a task before going to another, that was also my motivation for the proposal at WB:RFC --Synoman Barris (discuss • contribs) 14:10, 14 September 2020 (UTC)
Need to move over existing page
Need to move Transwiki:First word/doc over Template:First word/doc which I inadvertently created with incorrect content. Apologies. Thankyou. Bigdelboy (discuss • contribs) 02:27, 25 September 2020 (UTC)
- CommentThis IP should be blocked from editing French/Vocabulary/Animals, since that is the only page this IP vandalizes . Cheers — Preceding unsigned comment added by Synoman Barris (talk • contribs) 10:35, 25 September 2020 (UTC)
- Blocked them for a while. Some people might block that IP from editing that page. Some might semi-protect that particular page. I usually don't do either of those, on the theories that, one, if someone is demonstrating on one page that they have an unconstructive attitude, then our objection is to the attitude rather than to its target, and two, if we semi-protect their own target, that will only make it harder to identify them when they come back in some new guise with the same unconstructive attitude. --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 14:29, 25 September 2020 (UTC)
Semi-protection of pages formerly hosted at the ETHZ.
I'm wondering about semi-protection of pages formerly hosted at the ETHZ. Oberon/ETH Oberon/bootman is an example. My intention is to preserve old pages essentially as original. New information can be added to other pages such as Oberon/bootman. I might simply watch for an edit and then handle it but proactive protection might avoid disputes. Advice? Thanks, ... PeterEasthope (discuss • contribs) 15:02, 9 October 2020 (UTC)
- Has their been a history of disputes or is this a projected guess? —Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 20:40, 9 October 2020 (UTC)
- There have been no edits of any of the pages I'm concerned about. Just thinking proactively. I guess you will suggest that protection is not required until there is an edit. OK, thanks, ... PeterEasthope (discuss • contribs) 17:19, 10 October 2020 (UTC)