Cookbook:Vedhmi (Sweet Stuffed Flatbread)
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Puran poli or vedhmi is a sweet version of stuffed chapati from the Gujarat in the Indian subcontinent. It is mainly stuffed with toor dal but some people uses chana dal.
- Wash and boil the toor dal with water and ½ tsp salt until soft.
- Cool slightly and strain the dal using a strainer.
- Add cardamom powder and jaggery to the dal, then grind to make a fine paste. If the paste is sticky, keep it on the heat to dry up completely. This is known as "puran".
- Knead flour with ½ tsp salt and enough water to make a dough. Do not make the dough hard.
- Add oil, and knead the dough again until the oil is absorbed.
- Prepare an equal number of balls from the dough and puran.
- Roll out dough balls to make small un-cooked chapati.
- Stuff each uncooked chapati with a ball of puran.
- Roll them again into stuffed chapati just like stuffed paratha. It is called "Poli".
- Heat a griddle and roast each Poli.
- Brush ghee on both sides when done.