Cookbook:Turkey with Plantain Stuffing (Pavo Relleno de Mofongo)
|Turkey with Plantain Stuffing (Pavo Relleno de Mofongo)|
|Category||Puerto Rican recipes|
This recipe for pavo relleno de mofongo was submitted by Brenda Ortiz Valle, who said the following:
"This recipe is my mom's, Aida E Valle, special Turkey recipe. The best I have tasted in my life!!"
- 3 medium to large green plantains
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into ½-inch squares
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp adobo
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp adobo
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp of ground pepper
- 2 packages of ground "cubitos" (Cubitos en polvo—chicken bouillon cubes)
- 2 packages of uncolored sazon (sazon sin achiote—uncolored seasoned salt. Goya is a typical brand.)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 whole turkey (15 lbs)
- Peel plantains and slice into 1-inch chunks.
- Add 2 cups canola oil to a medium-size frying pan. Set stove to medium-high and heat the frying pan for about 5 minutes.
- Add plantains and fry until they are golden brown. Drain them on paper towels or brown paper bags.
- Squash plantains one-by-one using a mortar, and place into a medium size bowl.
- Add, tomato, red and green pepper, garlic, olive oil, and adobo to the bowl containing the squashed plantains, then mix.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, adobo, oregano, salt, ground pepper, "cubitos", "sazon", and garlic.
- With a sharp knife, make incisions in different places of the turkey.
- Use seasoning mixture to season whole turkey, inside and out. If you need more seasoning mix, repeat first step.
- Cover turkey with aluminum foil and refrigerate until it absorbs the seasoning, at least 2–4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Fill turkey with plantain filling. Cover, the turkey filling opening with kitchen thread.
- Cover turkey with aluminum foil and place turkey in preheated oven.
- Leave turkey within the first 2 hours without removing aluminum foil. After 2 hours, remove aluminum foil and turn in ½ hour intervals for two hours. Use the turkey drippings to moist turkey while cooking.
- Set oven to broil for 20 minutes each side.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- Alton Brown shows how to truss a turkey here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/how-to-truss-a-turkey/27751.html