- Combine lemon juice, tomato paste, sugar and turmeric in small bowl, mix until smooth. Set this sauce aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions, and sauté until golden-brown and they begin to loosen their moisture. Then, remove using a slotted spoon, and layer in a oven-proof dish.
- In the same oil, sauté the bell and chili peppers for 2 minutes or until softened, transfer using a slotted spoon to oven-proof dish, layering over the onions
- Layer half of the raw tomatoes over the peppers.
- Spread the garlic over the tomatoes, and season with half of the salt and pepper.
- In the same oil, sauté the fish for 1 minute, then transfer to dish, place on top of tomatoes, season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Top the fish with the remaining tomato slices. Spread the lemon-tomato-paste sauce over the top layer.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil, continue baking 10 more minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when tested.
- Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro garnish, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Notes, tips, and variations
- The chili pepper can be replaced by chili powder or completely omitted if a less spicy dish is desired.
- A can of tomatoes can replace the fresh tomatoes.