Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Vegetable recipes | North American cuisines | United States cuisine | Cajun cuisine
Smothered okra is an easy dish that works well as a side vegetable. It can also be added to seafood and okra gumbo as the okra base. It is made with okra and tomatoes and is best served over rice.
- Remove okra tips and heads, and slice into ¼–½ inch wide pieces.
- Saute onion, celery, and bell pepper in butter until soft over medium heat, adding garlic to saute shortly before the onion is soft.
- Add okra and tomatoes. Stir a few times to incorporate. If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a small amount of water.
- Simmer over medium heat until the okra is no longer sticky and stringy. The okra will change to a darker green color.
- Serve over rice or freeze to use in your next gumbo.