Cookbook:Shrimp and Cheese Grits
|Shrimp and Cheese Grits|
or 40 minutes if you have to peel the shrimp
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Southern U.S. cuisine | Breakfast Cuisine | Seafood
- 3–4 strips thickened smoked bacon, diced
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 6 servings of grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ large sweet onion, cut into thin strips
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste, optional
- juice of one lime
- Fry bacon until crisp, remove and set aside.
- Sauté onions, garlic, and peppers in bacon grease, add lime juice and hot sauce and set aside.
- Prepare grits per the directions on box. Add cheese and butter when done cooking to allow for them to melt, then set aside.
- Stir when done melting.
- Sauté the shrimp until they turn pink, about 2–3 minutes.
- Place the grits and cheese in large serving container and place the shrimp down the center of the container.
Tips, notes, and variationsEdit
- If served on individual dish/platter, serve sliced limes on the side.
- In preparing the grits, you may want to use condensed milk instead of water to make the grits for an extra creamy texture!
- As an alternative, add garden peas to grits and serve with steamed bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms on the side. Adds a great taste texture with the peas!
- If you are planning to use unpeeled shrimp, plan an extra 20 minutes to peel the shrimp!