Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Put the shrimp, onion, drumsticks, and asafoetida in a saucepan. Add a little water and cook until the shrimp and drumsticks are done. If using white fish instead of shrimp, then omit the shrimp at this stage.
- Grind the grated coconut, chile peppers, turmeric, pepper and tamarind to a fine paste. If needed, add a tiny amount of water to form a thick fine paste. Avoid watering down the paste as far as possible.
- Add to the shrimp mix and bring to a boil. If using white fish, add at this point.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with hot white rice.
- The traditional way of eating Shrimp Hooman is with hot steaming rice and raw mango pickle.
- Alternatively the recipe can be made with any white fish (vellyo, muddashi, shevtali, visvaan).
- If using frozen grated coconut, defrost it before use.