Cookbook:Shepherds Pie (Pâté Chinois)
|Shepherds Pie (Pâté Chinois)|
Pâté Chinois (Chinese Pie) is a traditional French Canadian main course, and is often served during the cold months of the year. It is typically served with pickled beets.
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until soft, drain. Mash potatoes, adding 2 T butter and just enough milk to achieve a spreadable consistency. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef with onions and peppers. Drain fat and put ground beef mixture in bottom of casserole dish.
- Mix creamed corn and whole kernel corn and spread over beef.
- Spread the mashed potatoes across the top to form a 'crust'. Lightly sprinkle with paprika, and salt/pepper to taste, and make tracks with a fork, if desired.
- Bake uncovered at 400F until the potatoes are golden brown. (approximately 30 minutes)
- Serve hot with a generous portion of sliced chilled pickled beets.