Cookbook:Salt Cod and Potato Casserole (Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo)
A traditional Portuguese cod dish, Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo. The Portuguese have a great number of dried/salted codfish recipes, and they are often misunderstood or confused.
- 200 g (7 oz) (1/2 lb) of onions baked in olive oil, chopped 5 g garlic
- 400 g (14 oz) (0.9 lb)salted/dried cod
- salt, and white pepper
- 500 g (18 oz) (1.1 lbs) mashed potatoes
- olive oil
- Prepare the cod by leaving it for 24 hours in water, changing the water once or twice.
- After the 24 hour period is up, put the cod in a pot with milk.
- Boil until slightly cooked, add salt and pepper. The milk will make the fish soft.
- Bake and mash the potatoes, optionally adding milk, egg, pepper and lemon juice.
- Chop up onions in circles and fry in pan with garlic and lots of olive oil until slightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 220 °C (425 °F).
- Place the cod in the center of a casserole or baking dish.
- Surround the fish with the mashed potatoes and then cover it with the fried onion.
- Cover the onion with a thick layer of mayonnaise and sprinkle bread crumbs all over.
- Bake until toasted on top.
Serve with a green wine from the north of Portugal.