|Time||Prep: 45 minutes (including crust)|
Baking: 1 hour
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Rhubarb Recipes
This rhubarb pie is fairly sweet, but also quite tangy. It is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Prepare the flaky pie crust and refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Clean and trim the rhubarb stalks.
- Cut the stalks into ½–1 inch (1.25–2.5 cm) sections.
- Add sugar, cornstarch or tapioca, and salt.
- Stir until rhubarb is evenly coated with dry ingredients.
Forming and cooking the pieEdit
- Follow the instructions in the flaky pie crust recipe.
- Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 °F (175 °C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Cleaned rhubarb stalks
Filling for two pies
Dry ingredients for filling
Mixed fruit and dry ingredients for pie filling
Notes, tips and variationsEdit
- If cornstarch is used as the thickener, the pie requires a longer cooling time before the filling gels.
- Try using a whole egg in the filling.
- This cookbook also has a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie.