|Time||Prep: 45 minutes (including crust)|
Baking: 1 hour
- Prepare the flaky pie crust and refrigerate while preparing the rhubarb.
- Clean and trim the rhubarb stalks.
- Cut the stalks into ½ inch to 1 inch (1.25 to 2.5cm) sections.
- Add sugar, cornstarch or tapioca, and salt.
- Stir until rhubarb is evenly coated with dry ingredients.
Forming and cooking the pieEdit
- Follow the instructions in the flaky pie crust recipe.
Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Notes, tips and variationsEdit
- If cornstarch is used as the thickener, the pie requires a longer cooling time before the filling is gelled.
- Another variation is to use a whole egg in the mix.
- This cookbook also has a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie.