Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Dessert | Cake
Rhubarb may be an intimidatingly tart vegetable eaten on its own, but when its sharp flavor is tempered with the addition of butter and sugar, it makes excellent desserts such as the cake recipe below.
- 1½ cup thinly-sliced raw rhubarb
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sour milk or cultured buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream the brown sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in the egg and salt.
- Stir in the milk, baking soda, vanilla, and flour. Once blended, add the rhubarb and stir until mixed in.
- Pour batter into greased 9x13-inch pan. Combine the ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle on top of the batter.
- Bake at 375°F for 30–35 minutes.