Pumpkin roll is a traditional holiday dessert that's lovely to serve. The filling keeps the cake moist. This dessert can be prepared and kept frozen before the holidays.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (191 °C).
- Mix sugar, eggs, and canned pumpkin in a large bowl until well blended.
- Using a second bowl, mix flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Fold dry mixture into larger bowl with pumpkin mixture.
- Line rectangular cookie sheet with greased parchment paper or waxed paper. Make sure to extend over the sides of the cookie sheet.
- Pour batter evenly onto the lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle batter with the chopped pecans.
- Bake at 375 °F (191 °C) for 15 minutes.
- Set aside ⅛ cup (15 g / 0.53 oz) of the powdered sugar; it will be used later.
- Whip cream cheese, vanilla, butter, and remaining powdered sugar until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Lay a clean dish towel on a flat kitchen surface.
- Evenly sprinkle towel with the powdered sugar that was set aside earlier.
- Once the cake has been completely baked and before cooled, flip onto the towel with the powdered sugar.
- Loosely roll cake, then cool completely to allow cake to set.
- Once cooled, unroll cake.
- Spread filling over cake.
- Roll cake and filling up in a spiral.
- Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and freeze.
- Once frozen, remove foil and cut into slices while still frozen.
Notes, tips, and variations Edit
- Any chopped nuts may be substituted for the pecans.