Cookbook:Pumpkin Pie III
|This recipe is incomplete. Please feel free to complete it and remove this template. Incomplete recipes with insufficient meaningful content may be nominated for deletion per the deletion policy.
Pumpkin pie is a sweet pie filled with a spiced pumpkin custard.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle larger than the diameter of your pie pan.
- Gently lift the dough and place over the pie pan. One way to do this is by rolling the dough around the rolling pin, placing it over the pan, and gently unrolling the dough.
- Gently press the dough into the pan so it lines the bottom and all sides.
- Use scissors to trim the excess dough at the edges, leaving only a 1-inch overhang. Tuck the overhang underneath itself to make a crust level with the edge of the pan.
- Using your fingers, flute the edges for a professional result.
- Chill the crust for 1 hour in the fridge or 30 minutes in the freezer.
- Combine the pumpkin purée, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in a small pot. Gently stir over low heat until the mixture is warmed through.
- Combine the milk, eggs, and cream in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the warm pumpkin mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla essence if using.
- Line the chilled pie crust with parchment paper, and fill it with uncooked beans, rice, or pie weights. This prevents the crust from puffing up during baking.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes at 425˚F, or until the edges are golden.
- Remove the parchment and weights from the crust.
- Brush the bottom of the crust with beaten egg white. Bake the crust for an additional 10 minutes, or until the center of the crust turns light brown.
- Fill the crust with the pumpkin filling until almost but not quite full.
- Bake the pie for 45-60 minutes at 350˚F, or until the center begins to set.
- Cool to room temperature, and serve.