|Category||Side Dish recipes|
This recipe uses pre-canned gravy, mozzarella cheese, and fries the potatoes from scratch.
- 1 Deep fat fryer or large stove pot to fry the potatoes
- 1 saucepan or cup suitable for warming gravy
- 1 Serving dish
- Slice potatoes into finger-width wedges and rinse them well to remove any dirt
- Begin warming gravy, keep the temperature low enough for a slow heating
- Heat oil to 185°C (365°F)
- Cook wedges in the oil, this should take about 5 minutes
- Remove the fries from the oil and place them on a paper towel mat, to absorb excess oil
- Put cheese over the fries in serving dish
- Pour the gravy over the top and wait until the cheese starts to melt
- Et Voila! Vous avez une poutine.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Changing the cheese and gravy used in poutine completely changes the dynamic of the dish, a popular variant is to use a chicken or turkey based gravy with mozzarella cheese instead of curds.
- Replacing gravy with salsa, the cheese curds with sour cream, adding diced onions and tomatoes turns poutine into mexipoutine, an item also carried by the likes of Taco Bell under the name "Fries Supreme".