Pierogi are Polish dumplings that are typically filled with potatoes, cheese, meat, sauerkraut and mushrooms or wild fruits (strawberries, blueberries, etc.).
- Place flour in a large bowl.
- In a measuring cup, combine the salt, eggs, and the ½ cup cold water, and beat well with a fork. Add those ingredients to flour and mix with your hands until blended. Slowly mix in the remaining water (you do not have to add the entire cup, just keep adding until the dough feels wet). Add the butter and knead until there are no lumps and it feels very smooth. This should take 15 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour, but for best results let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Divide the dough into thirds and roll out each on a lightly floured surface until the dough is approximately ⅛ inch thick.
- With a cup or glass, cut as many circles as possible out of the dough, but do not lift them off the work surface.
- Remove the excess dough from the work surface, and roll the circles until they become completely flattened. This might require the additional sprinkling of flour on the dough.
- Carefully lift each circle of dough from the table (a spatula helps) and put between 1 tsp. and 1 tbs. of filling in its center. The amount would vary depending on the size of the glass that was used to cut the dough. For each circle, fold dough over to form a half-moon shape, and pinch edges closed, making sure there are no air pockets.
- Repeat for the remaining dough.
- Place no more than ⅓ of the pierogi at a time in boiling salted water for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain in colander and lightly rinse with cold water-- this will prevent them from sticking together.
- Serve immediately or fry in butter.
- These will freeze well for up to 6 weeks. Prior to boiling them, place each pieróg on a sheet of parchment paper or a floured sheet of wax paper, being careful not to have them touching. Stack sheets on top of each other and place in an airtight freezer bag.
- A standard recipe for mashed potatoes can also be used as filling.