- Whole chicken: skinned and cut into medium sizes, ideally into 6 pieces if using baby chicken
- Ginger paste: 1tb spoon
- Garlic paste: 1tb spoon
- Coriander powder: 1& 1/2 t spoon
- Cumin powder: 1& 1/2 t spoon
- Nutmeg powder (optional): 1/2 tspoon
- Greek yogurt: 1 tb spoon
- Onion chopped: 2 medium sized
- Cardamon pods: 6-8
- Clove: 3-5
- Cinnamon stick: 1 medium
- Black pepper crushed: according to taste
- Ghee or butter: 1 or 2 tb spoon
- Salt: according to taste
- Sugar: 1 tb spoon
- Coconut cream/ crushed coconut: 2 tb spoon
- Single cream: 1/2 cup
- Saffron: 4-6 threads
- Rosewater (optional): few drops
- Toasted flakes of almonds for decoration (optional): 1 tb spoon
- Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients and cover the bowl with cling film, leave in the fridge 1-3 hours
- Fry the onions in ghee /butter until it starts to turn brown but still soft. Do not fry to crispiness. Take out the onion with slotted spoon and keep it.
- Add the marinated chicken to the hot ghee and cook in medium heat.
- Dry toast the whole spices on a hot frying pan for 1 minute until they release the aroma
- Add the whole spices to the chicken as well as black paper
- Stir occasionally and cook covered.
- When water starts to separate from chicken add coconut cream, salt and sugar
- Add boiling water if chicken starts to dry up before its cooked
- Warm the single cream in microwave and add saffron to it.
- Add single cream to chicken when almost cooked and stir
- Bring back the fried onions, add optional rose water and almonds and turn down the heat.
- Serve with Warm Pilau rice
- Korma being mild dish can be a good introduction to South Asian cuisines especially for those who like to avoid too spicy or too hot dishes. Slicing onions may irritate eyes. Ethnic ingredient shops often sell fried onion pack.